weird......

Hi all
	Perhaps someone can throw some light on this strange
problem. My little coil (with a secondary of 10") throws brush
discharge of around 11.5" and strikes to an earthed electrode
strong arcs at around 10". I usually have the RF ground fixed
to both the bottom secondary turn, and the target electrode,
and I have good continuity on a meter along that circuit.
Strange thing is...... If I disconnect entirely the RF ground from
everything, and run the coil with no connection at all on the
bottom of the secondary, I STILL get the same discharge length.
Can anyone offer an explanation ?
The RF ground has a steel rod, 4 feet into soaked earth.
The supply is 3X  12/30's (total 12/90) NST's.
						Richard Barton.