Re: Is a CW coil a TEsla coil, was tesla's colorado lab

In a message dated 8/12/00 11:43:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>

>  John F, All -
>
>  Tesla was looking for ultra high voltages. For a fixed amount of energy
only
>  a dampened sine wave can be used to obtain the maximum voltage and power in
>  an air core transformer (Tesla coil). The Log Dec should be the maximum
>  possible. In the design of a Tesla coil the relationship between the Log
Dec
>  and the Q factor is a compromise.
>
>    Log Dec x Q factor = Pi
>
>  John Couture

John, all,

Certainly while the coil is sparking the Q will be lowered
due to spark loading.  I think the person who was asking about
coil Q was refering to the static Q.  The secondary static Q
depends on the secondary design.  The dynamic Q depends
of the overall design of the TC system.  A high secondary static Q
is desireable.

Tesla had many goals over the course of his work.

Cheers,
John Freau