Re: tesla's colorado lab

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jeffrey Wiggins" <jeffrey.wiggins-at-sympatico.ca>
>
> Tesla's problem was insulation. He just didn't have the kind of materials
> available
> that we have today - hence the seemingly large wire size ('though, the
> conductors
> were large, anyway; he was processing enormous amounts of power at CS).
> And, the
> coil in the picture is huge - many tens of feet in diameter; the inductance
> would
> also have been enormous. Isn't that what we try to acheive in the secondary
> with
> our coils?
> Just my two cents.
> Cheers.

	The inductance is easily calculable from the coil dimensions, which can
be scaled from the photos.  I believe that the CSN includes some
calculations of inductance and reasonant frequency (maybe period or
wavelength).

	For example, a coil 30 feet in diameter and 15 long, wound with about
30 turns, has an inductance of the order of 10 millihenries, large but
not enormous.  Many of the coils discussed here have far larger
inductances.

Ed

Ed