Re: Maybe my PT came in?

Sundog, all,

I was ruuning my large coil (Medusa) on just (2) 1 KVA, 60:1
GE potential xfmrs before I picked up my 10 KVA pig. I wired
their LV connections in series w/ each other for 240 volts in
and wired their HV connections in series for 14,400 volts out.
These things handily processed ~5x their nameplate rating
w/ 200V -at- 50A input according to the panel meters and my
coil was hurling consistant 8 ft. arcs. And, due to the self-
quenching of the rotory gap, the only external ballasting that
was required was the panel power control variac, as long as
I kept the variac below about 85 (0-100 scale w/0-240 volts).
The gap would try to start power arcing if I turned the variac
up past ~85. Like I said, the only reason that I don't still use
them is that I now have a 10 KVA pole pig with an arc welder
as an external ballast which gives me much more available
power without greatly exceeding the nameplate rating. These
PTs never showed any ill-effects from the rigorous Tesla ser-
ice I put them thru, though. Strange thing though, the pig actually
draws less KVAs, according to the panel meters, than the PTs
did, but puts out longer, hotter sparks. I guess the PTs
were probably approaching core saturation and the RSG
was on the verge of improperly quenching.

Bottom line though, IMHO, I would get these PTs if they
were anywhere near a reasonable cost. I am currently not
using mine, but they are as good as ever and were only re-
moved from service to make room for the pig.

Good, Safe, Coilin,
David R.