Re: space winding

Hi all,

 I have a question as to this 'proximity effect'?

 As I understand it, the effect comes about due to the field generated
by the wire affecting the adjacent wire. Now, considering that the
high current carrying part of the coil is the lower, say third, of the
secondary, would there be any advantage in spacewinding the lowest
quarter, or third of the secondary and then going closewound for the
rest. I assume someone would have done this, is there any quantitative,
(qualitative - bigger/brighter sparks :-)  ), results to this method?

 As for turn-to-turn arcing, I too had some problem with this but it was
eliminated after carefully fine tuning the coil. While I was doing this I
noticed that when out of tune, I suffered turn to turn arcs near the lowest
part of the coil and racing arcs from near the top - as one would expect,
here's the intersting part, as I varied the tuning, (higher/lower FrP)
the distance from the top and bottom of the secondary where these problems
would
occur varied also. It seemed to me, correct me if I'm wrong, that as I
decreased
FrP, the burn/breakout effect would move towards the ends of the coil. If I
went
too far, the effect would appear near the center of the coil, and I would
have to
go 'back' with my primary tap.  I have a mental idea/image why this is but am
asking the list if there is a definitive reason for this effect?

BTW - totally 'smoked' a secondary doing this, but learned heaps!!!

Best Regards all

 Robin

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Hi David,
>
> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Malcolm, John F,
> >
> > Well, I guess the verdict is in, then. Both of you
> > have pretty much answered with almost identical comments
> > about the "proximity effect" of minimal spacing of windings. I
> > am a little confused though, as my present largest coil system,
> > "Medusa" has a close-wound sec coil and its performance, to
> > me at least, is outstanding.
>
> David, as you know, I can attest to your coil performing "outstandingly"!
Quite
> a site to see! I did a few calcs on your coil. First using your 16 ga., then
> with 20 ga. There was little change to reactance, DC ohms, primary tune
point,
> etc... For 20 ga., I used a double coated magnet wire value and added a
spacing
> value of 0.023" to get the number of turns near what you use now. Note the
> spacing of .023" fits well within the 50 to 100% spacing as John F.
preluded to