RE: Pig Question AND current limiting method

Once, and only once, I used the solenoid slug (piston, rod, whatever you
wish to call it) as the core for a very large reactor (originally is was
a solenoid coil used to close 13.8kv distribution breakers). It became
too hot to even touch in less than 30 seconds of run time. This core was
solid iron 3" in diameter and 6" long. It was very effective in limiting
the current (DC was originally used in the coil), but totally
impractical. To reduce the eddy current heating, I replaced the core
with about 200 1/8" welding rods all bundled together and then inserted
into the coil. This never gets hot (the flux is non-conductive for this
purpose) because of the many pieces of insulated rod instead of the one
large core, and the resulting current is at very useable levels.
Whenever I want to increase the current, I just space the core up a
little bit further out of the coil (reactor).

Terry