Re: What about this *Unique* Spark gap design??

Hi Garry,
          A few weeks ago I thought about the possibility of
using a contactless gap made of two counter-rotating plates to
do the airblast job. Slightly different from your idea however:

On 7 Aug 00, at 11:40, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Garry F." <garryfre-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> I've been thinking of someof the problems that I keep running into when
trying
> to adjust my air cooled static spark gap.
>
> The voltage required to start a spark, is much higher than that needed to
> maintain a spark.
>
> A wider gap provides better performance at the cost of needing more
voltage to
> start the spark. NST's burn out and caps can get fried if this gap is too
wide.

A wider gap = more loss in the gap. One of the things that
makes a rotary good is the fact that as conduction and pri-sec
transfer proceeds, the electrodes are moving closer to each
other.

> If the current output of a NST isn't high enough, it can take longer to
charge
> up the caps up to the voltage needed to jump the gap and sometimes results in
> tesla output that looks "Unsteady" as the cap charge time becomes long enough
> to be noticeable.
>
> In other words, if I make the gap narrower, the output is diminished, but
if I
> make it too wide, I get spotty output.

Diminished only from the point of view of initial firing
voltage and cap energy. An ideal gap is one which fires at the
desired cap voltage, closes completely together while the pri-
sec transfer proceeds (lossless) and then immediately stops
conducting on completion of the transfer. Nirvana.

Regards,
Malcolm