Yes, yes...nice....but what can you do with it?

After a recreational afternoon of dumpster diving....er.....creative
resource allocation and recycling...yeah. We found a massive toroid core for
a large Variac.
It's about 1' in diameter, and about 2X3" in cross section. There are 3
wires coming off. The wire gauge is about 12 or 14 and it weighs about 15-20
pounds.
There is ONLY the core and coil. No wiper, or mounts or anything.
What can we do with it? Ideas?

We also found a very nice motor driven Variac rated for 2500Watts at 120VAC.
The motor control looks bent and destroyed, but the variac should be fine.
Yippie!

They both appear to be from the theatre dept. of our local Looniversity.

Another toy we found *might* be usefull. It's another lighting control
module, but this one is solid-state. We can identify almost all the parts
with one exception. There is a 6" dia, 2"thick black disk shaped potted
thingy (yes, that's a technical term) with 2 wires of about 18AWG coming out
of the top. What is it? I'll try to dig up a part# if possible. Given it's
application we may be able to make a few of these (there are at least 6 in
the dumpster, we're making another trip) into a solid state TC control panel
for the SAM upgrade to a 10kVA PIG system.

Ideas?

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group