[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnifying Coil

To all Magnifier Experts,

It appears that my previous notions about Maggy coils are a little bit
off base. In that case, I would definately like to review some more
up-to-date info on the subject. Are there any on-line documents or
downloadable files? The only detailed compreshensive source that I have
seen has been compiled by Richard Quick based on his experiments on the
subject. I will list the important details pertaining to maggy's as I
understand them to be...please correct and add if you can.

1) Really tight coupling between pri/sec
3) Pri should be a verticle helix extending almost the whole length of
the secondary
4) Sec is very low inductance and low impedence (space wound heavy gauge
stranded wire)
5) Sec should should have a fat ratio...~1.5:1
6) Sec should be twice the operational frequency of the tertiary
7) Tert should be high inductance and high impedence (close wound magnet
wire)
8) Tert should be heavily toploaded (and be half the freq of sec coil)
9) Tert should have a ratio of ~2:1
10) Use a very fast break rate in the spark gap
11) Connect sec and tert coils 6'-9' feet apart and use a loss conductor

(That's all I can think of at the moment)

So if there are no real advantages secured from a magnifiying coil, then
why build them? Maybe for looks, or something different, or to save a
little space?

Thanks,
Dan
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!