[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Valves

Mark Finnis <mefinnis-at-medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

>>Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>>
>>Except that a thyratron really is a "latching" kind of tube (think of it
>>as
>>a SCR) as opposed to an amplifier (like a triode or tetrode).  I believe
>>that Richard Hull did some stuff using thyratrons as a replacement for the
>>spark gap though...
>
>My limited knowledge tells me this means it "stays switched-on" once fired,
>until the forward current source disappears that is.
>
>How would this work with our RF cap oscillations ?

These tubes have a deionization time.  If the current stays zero for roughly
the deionization time, then the tube will switch to a nonconducting state.

I would think that the period between zero crossings for a tesla coil LC
oscillation would be faster than the deion time, and the tube would
therefore stay on for the entire oscillation envelope.

But I could be wrong.  Depends on the tube.  I know the H filled ones are
faster than mercury vapor tubes, but more than that I don't know.

-Bill