[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Twin coils

Concerning John Freau's observation

> There's been a lot of postings about twin coils, dual gaps, etc.  I'd
> just like to clarify a few points.
>
> 1)  typical twin coils use one power supply, one gap system, and
> one capacitor with either a series or parallel primary.  By using this
> set up, and winding the coils in the correct direction, a perfect out
> of phase RF situation will occur which causes the sparks to attract
> each other.
I can agree with this and I did it with the primaries in series, but when I
reversed the connections to one of the primaries, arcing between the systems
still occured, but with less voltage showing as lesser length of arc. One of
the systems was designed inefficiently as a large 10 ft diameter model with
48 turns of 14 gauge wire at one inch separation of turns. Could it be that
the other interacting coil which was a more conventional 3/1 ht vs width
ratio merely overpowered the weaker coil to produce this effect? 1500 ft of
wire were used on both secondaries, the smaller coil was 20 inch diameter a
couple of ft away from the larger coil.

HDN in reply to John Freau's observations

Get FREE voicemail, fax and email at http://voicemail.excite-dot-com
Talk online at http://voicechat.excite-dot-com