[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla List

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Mantic ..." <citnam-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Hi Everyone...
>
>    I know this is a little off of the subject, but after reading through
> many coiler's HOWTO's and such, I got quite confused when one person said: 1
> millimeter = .001 inch, and another: 1 millimeter = .01 inch. I know for a
> fact that: 1 inch = 25.4 millimeters, which would mean: 1 millimeter = .039
> inches. A little different from what the others were sayin'. I have gotten
> very disgruntled from these documents.
>
>    Ok, so starting fresh: What exactly is the math behind making cap.'s
> suitable for Tesla Coils? (Better yet, the spec's.)  More specifically
> rolled and plate cap.'s... Understanding that 1 inch = 25.4 millimeters. How
> many inches thick of a dielectric do I need for a coil about 10kVAC?
> And what are the physical dimensions? I tried everything reasonable, (math
> wise, not actual) and nothing would even come close to .001 uFD's.
>
> ---Mikey D.

ahhhhhhhh   a total breakdown in the english language again occurs .........
mils = 1/1000 of an inch   sooooo    60 mils = .060 inches    the average
thickness for rolled or plate type capacitors used for TC application is
consided to be  anywhere between 60 to 90 "mils"   e.g.  .060 - .090 inches
   (
this is using polyethylene or polypropelene as a dielectric)  there are some
things out there like barium titanate ceramic plate that can be used if you are
RICH   ;)   ....   it can be as thin as 5 mils  ( .005 " )    for the best
results..

Scot D