[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Aluminum magnet wire?

I don't think that Al is all that paramagnetic (at least not to a degree
that would make any difference).

I also note that loudspeaker voice coils are often wound with aluminum wire
(to reduce the moving mass).

Most VHF and UHF antennas are built with lots of aluminum.

The real problem with aluminum is the resistance.  Even if you use bigger
wire, the skin effect means that you don't gain as much as you might think.
(It's not entirely right, but in general, doubling the diameter of the wire
only halves the resistance, not 1/4, as you might expect from 4 times the
area). In a close wound coil, the effect of the adjacent turns would change
the whole skin effect thing substantially.

Here is what you should do.. especially if the wire, and your time, are
free.  Wind it, try it, let us all know how it worked. I, for one, would be
interested to know about the measured L, C, and R of a closewound secondary
with aluminum wire at TC frequencies (hundred kHz or so).