[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Twin coil idea / Tesla's Lectures w/ coil specs: Feb 1892

Hi Jeff,

> Original Poster: "Jeff Behary" <jeff_behary-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Malcom and others,
>
> Please note in Tesla's lecture in London Feb 1892 "High Frequency and
> High Potential Currents", (page 217 "Inventions, Researches, and
> Writings of Nikola Tesla" Barnes & Noble)
>
> He mentions a small twin coil to produce extremely powerful fine-grain
> effluve without large sparks, to be demonstrated by one small and one
> large ring of wire in the same plane with ionisation inbetween. Wound
> on thick Bohemian glass tube,  5cm diameter x 20 cm long.  Secondary
> is 24 AWG. Primary is 12 AWG, and fits INSIDE of the secondary. Two of
> these coils are used, with secondaries in series and primaries in
> multiple arc.  Condensers in series, spark gap in parallel.  Tubes
> placed in oil insulation 10-15cm apart. Coil excited from 2 four-pint
> jars in series.

I built what was supposed to be a replica of one of his early lumped
disruptive coils a couple of years ago and saw the effects you
mention. I can also get the same effects using a normal coil.
Spreading the discharge area out appears to be the sole
mechanism for generating these type of discharges.

Regards,
Malcolm