[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: X-rays from light bulbs/Tesla Coils !!!

Hi Fa. Tom, Shaun, all

IIIIIIIIIIII´m back............. (online, that is)  ;o)

Comments below.

> Original Poster: "Thomas McGahee" <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>

> The light that you see when the bulb is placed in a microwave oven
> is most likely excitation of the gas. If it is a volumetric effect,
> it is most assuredly gas glow. If it is JUST the walls of the
> glass glowing, you might have x-ray production. My bet is
> that it is glowing gas, and thus no x-rays.

> > Original Poster: "Choad" <choad69-at-geocities-dot-com>
> >
> > Tom,
> >     Ok when you put a light bulb in a microwave and it makes green,
>> blue, whatever other colors. Would this be indacating that there
> >x-rayso,or is  this just because it's in a microwave?

The microwave. One of my favorite inventions. I´m working on a
website about my microwave experiments, which I hope to have
up someday (soon). Depending on what kind of bulb you place
in the µ-wave chamber, you will get different results. If you place
a normal fluorescent bulb in the chamber, it will light up due to
electron bombardment of the phosphorescent layer (just like it
does in normal usage). If you place a normal (25-100W) incandescent
light bulb in the chamber it will do three things:

1.) The filament acts as a short to the microwaves, so it lights up
(quick and painless filament death in a 850W µ-wave).

2.) The rare gases inside (to prevent filament oxidation in normal
usage) will light up due to ionization. In other words, the electrons
of the gas "slurp up" some of the energy, go into a stage of higher
energy and fall back down to the non excited stage and give off a
photon in the process.

3.) If you "overdo" it, the glass envelope will melt, start conducting
and you will actually see the glass "lighting up"

I have also tried this with a bulb that "heavily loads" the µ-wave.
This was a 500W halogen bulb used for outdoor lighting. It took
the µ-wave about 15 secs to destroy the filament and another
15 seconds to get the hi temp quartz glass(!!) envelope to melt
with very interesting results.

You CANNOT get x-rays out of such a setup, because the E-Field
within the µ-wave chamber is pretty uniform. This means, you
can´t accelerate the electrons, so that they hit a "dark" target. No
HV acceleration, no x-rays.

There are many an interesting experiment that can be done with
a microwave (lighting bulbs, killing CDs, making plasma balls with
a wood splinter, igniting steel wool, etc. etc,). All this can be seen
on my website in the future.

This being said, I should add, that one should NOT play with µ-waves,
unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. IMHO, µ-waves are
more dangerous than x-rays for several reasons. The experiments
described above can also cause physical injury (it is thoroughly
possible that the light bulbs can actually explode). My µ-wave is
rewired to be run via a dead man switch ONLY. I have also taken
precautions to prevent the chamber door from throwing glass
particles around, in case of something goes wrong inside the
chamber. All viewing is done at a distance with a video camcorder.
It´s better to sacrifice a camcorder than one´s one eyeballs
and / or flesh.

Please be careful, if/when repeating such experiments.

µ-wavy greets from Germany,
Reinhard