[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: X-rays from light bulbs/Tesla Coils !!!

Jeff and all,

In the earlier days of light bulbs, manufacturers used a high vacuum to
prevent filament oxidation. Modern lightbulbs are backfilled with a bit
of gas (typically nitrogen or argon) to retard evaporation of the
tungsten filament. The difference in behavior between the two types of
bulbs is very easy to see - those with no gas back-filling tend to show
little if any internal plasma discharges, and the glass often fluoresces
a yellow-green color from x-ray bombardment. The back-filled bulbs
provide a beautiful violet and rose-colored plasma display, with much
reduced x-ray production. When doing demos, only use modern lightbulbs
which show the plasma display, and keep run-times reasonable.

-- Bert --