[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Super NST

Hi All,

	I have seen a few posts about unpotting and modifying neons to get 50 or
100ma. I have access to an unlimited quantity of neons so I thought I would
try something out.
	First I unpotted a 15/60 by what I consider to be the cleanest method,
freeze and chip. This worked great and got all the tar off. Next I pulled
EVERY shunt out of the neon and put PVC spacers in there place. Then all
that was left to do was put it in a case and fire it up.
	After placing it in oil, I slowly fed power to it with my variac. With the
"
new" trans shorted into my ma meter it read 210ma at full power. Yes! It
worked, I think. Now time for a real test. I disconnected the ma meter and
connected my arc rod. With my 3' PVC rod with a nail at the end I drew an
arc off. Wow! I was able to get it to almost 10".
	At this point I decided to look at the amp clamp, 35a at 120, not bad. To
make sure the transformer could handle it's new output current I shorted it
and let it sit for a few min. It got warm but not hot and nothing melted.
Since this the modified neon has logged about 10hrs of flawless tc service.

Aron