[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neon Sign Transformer

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Spud" <spud-at-wf-dot-net>
>
> I was wondering where I could find instructions on how to operate my new
> neon sign transfomer.  I have a working knowledge of electronics, but this
> thing has like five terminals and none of them are labeled in any way.
> There are four terminals on the front.  The two terminals on the left side
> are part of the same piece of plastic.  On the right there is a big plastic
> 'bee-hive' thing with a terminal on the end.  (I don't know what to call
> them, but they are ribbed kinda like beehives.  You see them on powerlines
> holding up the cables.)  Then right underneath that there is one more
> terminal that is just a screw coming right out of the case.   So the front
> side looks kinda like this:
> _______________
> |   __            ___  |
> |  | 0 |          /  0  \ |
> |  |    |          \___/ |
> |  | 0 |                   |
> |                   0     |
> |_______________|
>
> On the back there is one more terminal on a beehive-thing.  I'm almost
> positive of what that's for.
> Thanks in advance for any help; I hope I am not seeming too much like a
> retard to you, cause I sure feel like one. :)
>
>         Thanks,
>               Ryan

Ryan ......

what you have is a standard NST....   the larger Beehive structures are
the hi voltage output insulators ( having one threaded post each , there
is normally one on each side of the case, you will also find another
insulator ( smaller ) with 2 threaded posts in it, this is the low
voltage input. The singular post ( normally not insulated) is the case
ground.  If the NST you have is rated for 120 V input, connect the 2
wires from the 120 volt sorce to the double posted insulator, AND
connect the ground wire to the case ground terminal.

the 2 insulators ( normally on opposite sides of the case) are the hi
voltage outputs... BE Careful they BITE HARD and can kill if not
careful...

I suggest you should spend more time reading some of the many web sites
concerning Tesla coils before you attempt to build a coil

Patience is an important virtue to have in this hobby.........   :)

take care be careful

Scot D