[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Aluminum electrodes in TCBOR static gap

--- Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
> Original Poster: "R.E.Burnett"
> <R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>
>

> Hi all,
>
> >> The gap unit WAS firing and making a huge glow,
> but no spark.
> >
> > This sounds very much like something that Malcolm
> mentioned about
> > his single static gap running well at low
> voltages, but just "fizzing"
> > at higher voltages.  This sounds like a total
> power input power
> > arc....no quenching at all.  In other words, like
> just arcing a NST as
> > in a Jacob's ladder more or less, possibly caused
> by overheating of the
> > gap.
> >
> > cheers,
> > John Freau
>
> I think this behaviour may be due more to
> overheating of the static gap,
> than lack of actual quenching.  I have seen this
> happen whilst monitoring
> the static gap voltage waveform.  When the static
> gap overheats the
> breakdown voltage drops considerably,  and the spark
> gap seems to
> "re-ignite" preamaturely following each firing.
> This results in the
> static gap firing at a much faster rate,  but with
> the tank capacitor only
> partially charged.  The higher firing rate causes a
> high pitched "frantic
> fizzling" sound from the gap and even more heating.
>
> Since bang energy is proportional to V^2,  the lower
> firing voltage causes
> bang energy to drop like a rock !  Although the
> firing rate is higher, it
> is outweighed by the massive drop in bang energy.
> The total power
> throughput falls and the secondary sparks cease.
>
> I found that high voltages,  and small capacitors
> were worst for provoking
> this effect.  I eliminated the problem with a large
> volume of air blown
> through the TCBOR-gap,  before moving to a rotary
> design.
>
> Well that is my theory anyhow,
> Comments ?
>
>-------
Absolutely agree.There could be only 2 things
happening here:Real power arc (something like in the
case of J.Leader)
                       Or much incresed  firing rate
in spark gap ,few times per cycle at lower voltage
(anyway trafo. calc says somewhat smaller given power
output) resulting in  much smaller TC secondary
voltage too (no sparks).

Regards,
Boris

=====