[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil Winder, solid-state high power control for pigs (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 23:43:24 EDT
From: Bobbaust-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Coil Winder, solid-state high power control for pigs

To: Gary Lau & all
> Re: unwinding from the end of the spool
> Plus, it avoids the problem of the
>  reel's inertia causing it to unwind after you stop the coilform.

You can avoid the "spool-off" if you use the roll-off method just by
stretching a couple of fat rubber bands across the top of the spool.

Also - hint for those winding primaries from 12 to 16 awg solid copper
(romex).  If you take the bare wire length (20 feet or so) and clamp one end
in a vise, put the opposite end in your cordless drill, stretch out the wire
in a straight line and run the drill for a minute or so.  This puts a twist
in the wire, straightening it and at the same time making it a little more
"springy".  You won't believe how straight it gets.  You can then hook one
end around the handle of a paint can, and twist the can to create
near-perfect coils.

I've been doing the "twist" thing with wire for so long I don't remember
where I heard about it.

Solid-state power control - Anybody tried using a circuit similar to an
induction stove?  They heat pots (magnetic only, obviously) by inducing
current in the pot from a 20-30 turn flat coil in the surface of the cooktop.
 The coil is driven via triacs or SCRs from the 240 vac line. I know they use
high frequency but I don't know how high or how they get it using SCRs on a
60 hz power source.

The voltage and current range is the same as you gung-ho boys use on pigs,
though, and I wondered if anybody tried this.  I happen to have the remains
of an inductive cooktop in my basement, waiting for me to fix it for the last
2 years.  Not likely to happen in my lifetime.

Hey, would one of those coils make a good TC primary?