[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tube TC, formula, new plans (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 16:32:01 EDT
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Tube TC, formula, new plans

All,

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I was planning to make a new
larger tabletop VTTC.  My old small VTTC gave 20" sparks using one
833A tube, and a MOT with level shifted power supply.

I was thinking about the power vs. spark length relationship for VTTC's
and came up with the formula:

     spark length in inches = .58*sqrt power (wallplug watts)

This is just a rough formula but gives a good guide for what to expect
from a VTTC.

Plans for the new VTTC:       (27" spark output)

Power supply -  plate xfrmer, 1 kW, 2500V with level shifter cap and diode.
    (The coil will demand 2500 watts or so, which the plate transformer should
    be able to provide for limited run times.  I'm trying to keep the weight
down)

Secondary - 5" by 12", #28 or #26 wire

Primary - Flat, #12 wire, 20 turns?  (I didn't calc this out yet)

Tank cap - 0.003uF(?), 16kVAC

Tube - (1) 833C (?) or maybe (2)

Base - Two tier, modular set up (3 tier with staccato at bottom?)

Variac - separate

Metering - external?

Staccato - maybe 30 pps will work well (but see if spark shortens)

RF bypass caps (for power supply) -  0.005uF at 16kVAC

Grid leak cap, grid leak resistor - to be determined

Grid coil - adjustable positional height

RF line filter, 6" toroid, switches, fuses, wiring, etc.

It may be challenging to obtain a 27" spark using the above components,
especially without using the staccato mode.

Comments welcomed,

John Freau