[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil Winder (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 11:48:24 -0500
From: "Dr. Resonance" <Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Coil Winder (fwd)

It's easy to make your own.  Buy a 15 RPM gear motor from a surplus house
such as Nebraska Surplus or Fair Radio Sales (approx $25).

For endplates to couple to the motor use standard pipe flange mountings
available from any plumbing shop or supply house.  Most of these have 4 bolt
hole patterns.  Use 1/2 inch pipe (1/4 inch pipe for small coils up to 4
inches dia) to form the vertical holder and some oversize scrap bearing
blocks which attach to a pair of sawhorses.  These form your holder system.
They bolt up to a 3/4 inch circular piece of plywood which form the winding
endplates for your coilform.  Cut them for tight fit and tap into the coil
form end with a mallet.  We also usually drill 4 small holes at 90 degree
spacing and tap in 4 small finishing nails to secure the endplate to the
coilform.  These are later removed and the holes drilled out larger for
1/4-20NC nylon bolts which form the fastener system to attach the finished
endplate to the coil after winding is completed.

Hook up a small control relay and surplus footpedal (allows handfree control
of the motor) to the gearmotor and you are ready to wind away.  It's simple
and works on coilforms from 2 inches up to 24 inches in diameter.   The coil
is supported between the sawhorses for winding.

Dr. Resonance