[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Old NST (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:38:19 +0100
From: Michael Tucknott <Michael.Tucknott-at-virgin-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Old NST

hi its Tab,
could you please forward this to the list and answer self if you want
to.
I got my NST today for £30.
it's old but I don't know how old. Pearce Transformer co LTD, type P610
MK3 T9703.
on the primary side there are 7 terminals. one is a 10V terminal, 2nd is
a 0 terminal (I'm guessing 0V, it just has a 0
label next to it), the 3rd is a 210V terminal, the 4th is a 230V
terminal, the 5th is a 250V terminal, the 6th is a
terminal that is connected to the metal case and the 7th is a terminal
with an E label next to it (Earth?). the primary
has a 2.8 amp label on it.
the secondary outputs are two 5000V outputs. there are also two more
terminals on the secondary side which
correspond to the same positions of the 6th and 7th terminals on the
primary side. So here are my questions:
1) how do I connect these up to get 10000V. I think there was a
discussion about this on the list once where you
had to connect both output terminals together to get one 10,000 volt
line and then connect the two terminals up
again using two more separate wires to get a second 10,000 V line. Have
I remembered correctly? if not please put
me right.
2) since the primary is 2.8Amps I am going to connect it up using a
three pin plug from the mains with a 3Amp
fuse in it. the brown live wire is going to be connected to the 230V
terminal on the primary and the blue neutral
wire to the 10V terminal on the primary . this should give me 240V input
on the primary side. (or should I connect
this to the 0 terminal to give 230V input)
        Because I dont want to connect the earth to the house mains
earth how do I connect the E terminal on the
primary to an earth that will work ie blow the fuse whilst still
connected to a separate earth? if I'm talking
nonsense put me right.
3) am I using the correct fuse?

--
If at first you don`t succeed......