[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

pigs and other novice questions

Ok, so I'm a newbie.  By reading your chatter for a few days I have surmised
the following:

1. Some of you guys are using pole pigs in reverse as an input xfmr for your
TC (see, I have the language down already).
2. You are running them on 240 vac but using current limiting devices in
series (I assume to keep from sucking the guts out of your fuse box).
3. You are looking to achieve an input current of around 10 to 50 amps, which
I'm guessing is less than 10% of what you'd see if it were direct connected
to 240 vac.

So here's my question: Why don't you input 120 vac instead of 240, and have
less voltage to drop?  Or better yet, use that welder's secondary to drive
the pig, since the welder puts out current-limited voltages in the range of
20-50 vac?  Or use big fat SCR's to chop the input waveform?  (Or do you need
nice clean sine waves?)  Am I missing something?

I'll be good and only ask this one question.  Maybe next time I can get some
of you to help me troubleshoot my first TC (15kv 30 ma NST, 8 turn 9" pri,
12" 800 turn sec, 4.5"x1.25" toroid).