[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Malcolm Watts' comments on my t.c. comments

<< Hi Malcolm All,
>   Yes definitely. before I killed one of my transformers Ha! I noticed that
> the difference between 450 watts and 900 watts was a lot greater than one
> would have thought. With 450 watts I was getting 30" wispy purple streamers
> with the occasional white streamer. when I added the second transformer the
> spark length went up to 36" but with really bright white streamers all the
> time. i should add that the cap value was the same with both setups. 23.5
> nF so this might have a bearing on this. resonant charging?

> cheers
> bob golding >>

Bob,

If you're using static gaps, then it sounds to me like the higher power
input simply increased the break-rate, especially if you left the gap
spacing the same.  The higher break-rates tend to make the sparks
brighter and and longer.

Cheers,
John