[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Streamer growth and filming it all

first some assumptions/definitions:
1.) streamer&arc Fself-oscillation >> Fres Secondary so Xc_HFarc=low ohms,
    implying >>HF enhances connections over longer distances due to lower Xc
as freq ^ )
2.) streamers(disconnected) & arcs (connected to plate opposing top terminal
    which could be any significant conductor possessing sufficient effective
size
    enabling energy storage/sinking capacity to produce the connected
visible power arc)
    represent breakdown in the dielectric, air

Here is my guess (educated from my experiments w/single shot mode, gut feel,
etc),

a.) A streamer or arc starts life as a (relative) conductor,
    a physical projection relative to its local surroundings,
   (and at microscale, exaggerated/attracted by opposing physical structure)

    the projection functioning as a very effective and sharp pointed field
concentrator
   (ref: AFM Atomic Force Microscopy)

    above a TBD field intensity threshold, (TBD=in controlled STP still,
N2/O2 air mixture)
        one perceives the corona glow, the visible blue/uv light emission
spectra
        resulting from concentrated local field ionic breakdown
    below this threshold, a field is present and reaching out randomly
    but directed/attracted by random dielectric reactance's of relative
opposing plate(s)
        a dynamic network of reactance's
       (which range from dielectrics of different densities
        to isolated conductors (plates) possessing charge/reactance, series
capacitor(s)
       (even your body as you walk around - possesses capacitance, reactance
and charge
         a dielectric breakdown streamer/arc attractant
    participating in the complex top TC terminal capacitance)
    and finally to larger structure conductors (room walls ceilings) which
       present the lowest reactance, the first order opposing plate to the
top terminal.

b.) Streamers stop growing visually when field intensity is not sufficient
to maintain air
    ionization, including hysteresis
      (initiating field intensity needs to be higher than the field to
sustain streamer)
    which is related to the Ctop potential and how much and when it deviates
as a function
    of how many of what length streamers are continuing, growing, receding,
newly issued or
    terminated due to local (may not be global, reactance isolation?)
potential fluctuation.
    nS propagation's produce random potential paths in the Ctop surface from
Fres impulse
    yielding random corona (or leaders which may become arcs) emission
points
    that follow the path of least resistance (reactance).
    Corona reaches out along the path of least resistance each time,
    the path of least resistance is simply changing quickly but may retain
physical
 (d)identity such as in the Banjo affect at moderate break rates.
    Multiple bangs may serve to make the discharge medium more consistent
   (more uniformly excited ? ) than occurs with long interval single shots.

c.) This could be best answered using them in the instrumented Single Shot
Mode.
    On a single TC, My Oscilloscope verifies each arc event to be unique
    defying prediction as to what nature of output pulse is produced,
    some + or - polarity only, some both, though all brief <1uS period most
<400nS
       under identical physical point to point arc external conditions
      (then no two arcs take the exact same route/path !!
       each arc's electrical length varies as a function of that route,
       ref: Tesla's 'straightening out' of his arcs)
    nor correlated to when, in the resonant rise the arc occurs.

    Bottom line, there are abundant potential differences opportunities
    between two coils to put on a good show.
    It would be a great show to demonstrate like polarity repulsion,
    if you could devise the controls in polarity and time.

----------------- other
x.)  I use an Olympus DL-100 2.2Mpixel digital camera for arc capture & a
Panasonic VHS-c.
     Both use CCD's, I've experienced no serious problems.
(some noise when video of Jeff Parisses 5-6' Tesla demo at Moorepark
exhibition,
 none from Overstreets ~4' nor at SoCal Teslathon)

The problem with CCD still capture is there is no Open Aperture capability,
(no B bulb option probably concern for accumulated dark current wash out)
making timing exposure tricky.

I need to press the DL-300 button ~1.5 sec before I trigger my single shot
TC !

But I do have a host of nice pictures as a result, already in .jpg format to
post process.

I would like control of the exposure duration.
By random chance
I capture some just the end of arc (late press) or
just the beginning of an arc (way early press)
the difference is obvious from the lack of saturation in the arc channel
i.e. its all a pretty blue rather than white !
or one end is blue the other white.

I don't think I've ever captured the mid-white affect as is frequently
visually seen.
May shed value on difference in the 'capture' of CCD vs our vision ?

It does poorly on disconnected Streamers from a photographic/artistic
standpoint
but I can post process and enhance all the branches losing color and
background quality.

Regards, Dale
Redondo Beach, Calif