[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Success with PP Multi-Mini Cap

Hi Alan,

Alan wrote a looooooong, loong time ago:

>Original Poster: Alan Sharp <AlanSharp-at-compuserve-dot-com>
>Can you point me towards some German surplus companies,
>preferably ones with websites who take visa. I'ld love to get these
>caps at 16c each and its a lot easier to import from EEC than USA.
>Of course puzzling out the German will be fun but it must be easier
>than biblical Hebrew.

I have been meaning to answer this one, but kept forgetting. My deapest
apologies to you. However, you didnīt miss out on anything, because I
(and a few other GTLīers) bought up all the interesting caps. ;o)) long
before you posted this message. Alas, there are no more and (I have
pestered the salesman many a time) it seems like they wonīt be
getting any more in. The 16c price tag was just too good a deal to
pass up. They do have a few different caps left, but they arenīt that
interesting, because they are in the 10nF and less range. Their
web url is: www.pollin-dot-com . Their website is definately NOT one of
the best (let them send you a catalog).

To make up for all this, here are some more websites
(surplus and MMC cap manufacturers) for you:

1.) WIMA: http://www.wima.de/

2.) Philips: http://www.philips-dot-com/products/

3.) Ultracaps: http://www.powercache-dot-com/

4.) Evox-Rifa: http://www.evoxrifa.se/

All of these manufacturers have distributors in Europe.

5.) Surplus: http://www.t-online.de/home/H.Eilers
     (be wary of this guy. Make sure you get the stuff
      BEFORE you pay for it. My friend had some bad
     experience with him). Has very interesting tubes, tho.

6.) Surplus: http://www.helmut-singer.de/shop.html

7.) Component search: http://www-dot-componet.de/

8.) Manufacturer search: http://www.et-info-dot-com/
    (aka Thomas register for europe):

Will you be using the MMC in a DW (spark gap driven) or
a CW (tube /FET) coil? For a CW coil you will need different
design criteria, than I use (DW), because the caps will be
stressed much higher. For an approximation, I would use
2x the values suggested for DW usage (i.e. dv/dt, Imax
per chain, DONīT go above peak ac=dc in the CW case,
donīt let the voltage rise per 1/4 period {of Fres} get any
higher than allowed, etc). The higher the Fres of the coil,
the harder the caps are stressed. The higher the frequency,
the shorter the rise time (1/F) becomes.

Look around for companies that buy up discontinued lines,
etc. If you find a place, ask how many they have, buy a few
and test them at ratings that are higher than you will really
be using. If they run okay, "buy up the line", before
someone else does. Deals, like the one I got, just donīt
come by every day.

I just talked to a german coiler the other day. It seems like
newer PFC caps (the big ones used in power lines) are
built with:

a.) NO PCBs
b.) Polypropylen and oil as dielectricum.

Now, if you come across one of these (many ĩF), you could
take it apart and rearrange the packs for TC usage.
Submersed in xformer oil (okay, itīs an "oily" deal) these
should be near indestructable, too.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard

(Better late than never. Sorry once again....)