[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Unexplained arcing current

Hi Gary, All,
    An RCR configuration with a resistor between the transformer and
the bypass capacitor is what I had intended.  Sorry for the confusion.

    The secondary of a high voltage transformer sometimes possesses
considerable capacitance.  This stored energy gets discharged (limited
only by the resistance and inductance of the secondary) through the
protection network along with the bypass capacitors.  This also shock
excites the secondary into oscillations that can cause dissipation and
eventual thermal run away in the very poor tar dielectric. I did a
series of experiments and posted them here several years ago.  Look in
the archives under NEON.  These experiments demonstrated that adding a
capacitor to the secondary of a neon transformer (could be
extrapolated to any high voltage transformer) caused it's terminal
voltage to increase by resonant rise.  This extra voltage applied to
the capacitance of the secondary and bypass capacitor represents
additional energy that has to be dissipated somewhere.  The
transformer insulation usually heats up, carbonizes, and tracks,
shorting out the transformer. I showed that varisters will absorb some
of this energy, but as Dave Sharpe has pointed out, they have a
limited lifetime.  I also showed that resistors will absorb a lot of
this energy, thus protecting the transformer from itself, the bypass
capacitor, and the Tesla coil primary tank RF.