[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Unexplained arcing current

There WAS a resistor between the bypass capacitor and the gap.  The
two 450pF bypass caps were each across the NST terminals and ground, and
the two 1.6K/113W resistors were from the NST terminals to the main gap
terminals.

I believe this situation where the tank was disconnected resulted in MUCH
hotter resistors than in normal operation.  I think the explanation that
I gave where the bypass cap energy is dissipated in the R's adequately
explains the heating.  The same thing occurs in normal operation, but
since the BPS is so much lower, the additional power from this is not
that significant.  If I assume my main gap fires at 25KV 150 times per
second, my bypass caps would only contribute about 10.5 Watts to the two
resistors.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA