[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: And another one bits the dust

Hi Viv,

	:-((  Oh darn!!

	I have a big nasty protection gap for my neon.  It is made out of big 1/2
bolts and acorn nuts.  I have "nice stuff" to set the gap voltage rather
precisely and I have them both set to arc at 11300 volts (15kV AC).  The
gap is 0.142 inches.  I live at 5200 feet above see level so mine should
arc at some lower voltage AT sea level.  Assuming a 10% voltage reduction
at sea level and extrapolating for 0.25 inches you 1/4 inch gap may be
firing at 22000 volts!!!!  I posted a picture at:

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/biggap.jpg

	Of course, spark gap voltages are dependant on many things, but I would
think from charts and just experience that you gaps should be set no
greater than 1/8 inch for a 5kVAC arc.  Mine was made for some high current
experiments so it is pretty over designed :-))

	Resonant charging circuits can over voltage a neon by about 500%.  So
safety gaps are very important.  The best method I know to set gaps is to
use the neon alone and set the gaps just outside of the arc distance.  At
5kV, this may be pretty sensitive but you really need to know the distance
that just the plain neon will arc at...

	Terry