[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer Questions

Hi Mike,

The cores you have should be good for about 2,500 watts (continuous).
Trying to get more, out of nine square inches of iron, cross section, is
probably asking for problems.  (at 60 HZ; raise the frequency, and you
might stand a chance)

See>  http://members.tripod-dot-com/~schematics/xform/xformer3.htm

The type of core you are talking about sounds like a tape-wound core.  A
steel band is wound on a (usually square or rectangular) mandrel and
bound with adhesives.  The ring of metal is removed from the mandrel and
cut into two halves, which are then polished and sometimes etched with
acid to undercut the ends slightly to prevent eddy currents where the
machining took place.

It is very important to keep the matched halves together, and to keep
each leg facing its own mate.  If you mix them up, it is usually easy to
see where they are supposed to go, by looking at the coloring at the
edges of the laminations.

This type of core is very sensitive to dirt inadvertently trapped in the
gap.  A small speck of material, can cause a great loss in inductance.

Tape wound transformers, are only exceeded in efficiency, by continuous
wound toroidal transformer cores.  (assuming 60 HZ power applications)

The stainless steel clamp you intend to use, should work very well.

Because you are winding a high voltage transformer, you will probably
want to wind the secondary on an opposite part of the core from the
primary, rather than directly over it.  This greatly simplifies
insulation requirements, and improves cooling.  In TC operation, there
will be less electrostaticly conducted interference from one halve to
the other.  You will sacrifice some efficiency doing it that way (higher
leakage inductance) but considering the benefits, it's a good
compromise.

Core length affects the amount of leakage inductance.  (reluctance is a
magnetic property of the steel) Shorter is better, as a general rule,
but for a TC application, the added leakage will make ballasting less
critical.  It is typical, with this type of core, to put the windings
over the gaps.  This tends to lower leakage inductance.

No idea what they might be worth, but you can bet they would cost a
great deal more than loose laminations of the same quantity and quality.

Hope that helps

Take care

bob misiura