[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Unexplained arcing current

>I have a few questions to your setup & the experiments above:
>
>1.) Did you completely disconnect the primary in your second test? Or did
>you just remove the wire going from the main gap to the primary cap?
>Did you remove the RF ground wire connecting the secondary to the
>center tap of the safety gaps and NST during the test?

I just disconnected the cap/pri_tap connection.  With the cap and primary
both having just one terminal connected, it's the same as not being
connected at all.  The secondary was not present at all.

>2.) Have you ever tried inserting two additional resistors between
>the safety gaps and the 450pF bypass caps? For a time limited
>test you wouldn=B4t need super high wattage types. To make true
>I^2*R comparison you would need to use (4) 800ohm types
>instead of the two 1.6kohm you are using now.

What I'll try next is eliminating the bypass caps.

>3.) What exactly are your 1.6kohm/113W resistors made of?
>I=B4m asking because you wrote "non-inductive type". Every wire
>wound resistor has some kind of inductance. Are they perhaps
>carbon film? This might explain why they don=B4t get hot in a dead
>short (only the current flowing), but heat up as soon as they have
>to handle the high voltage.

They appear to be some kind of film deposited on a ceramic tube, with
steel rings at the ends.  There is a smooth ceramic coating over the
film.  I don't think the nature of the resistors is an issue here, I had
the same problem when I was using common wire-wound types.

The gap is my single segment static gap with the vacuum cleaner motor.
As mentioned in an earlier post, the heating only occurs when I open the
gap up to 3/8".  With a 1/16" gap, the R's did not get unreasonably hot.

>Coiler greets from germany,
>Reinhard

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA