[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary Theory (Was Bipolar Coil)-Heretical view

to: Terry, Malcolm, all

With the limited time I had available to conduct additional experiments the
coil design seems to evolve to using a very low resistance high Q for the
first 1/5th of the coil, ie, 1/2 inch copper tubing for the first 10 turns
of the lower part of the secondary coil, and then going up with a very large
stranded wire to approx 1/2-2/3 total height, and then using a finer wire
for the upper part of the secondary.  I came to this conclusion when working
with some small magnifier type designs and always fighting the flashover
problem with the tight coupling parameters required for the driver coil
(first pri/sec coils).  A Professor and close friend of mine from Univ. of
Wis. suggested the Sloan approach --- eliminated the problem altogether by
making the first pri an auto-transformer with the first sec coil and using
an extremely hi-Q lower portion to drive the upper portion which produces
the potential multiplication for the driver coil.  This output is then fed
via a large dia. copper feedline over to the magnifier or extra coil.  In
our experiment we ended up with a 50 turn lower copper tubing driver feeding
upward into a 300 turn #6 AWG upper portion.  Potential multiplication was
excellent --- up to 400 kV to drive the magnifier portion and no flashover
to worry about.  The trick to doing this and getting the high level of
coupling required for a magnifier design is to use a very large dia
coilform, ie, in our case, 60 inches in dia.  Then k stays very high as
required for good energy transfer.   This large dia. driver requirement is
why most small size magnifiers don't work very well because they require the
primary to be wound up higher to hit the same k value and the result is lots
of polyethylene to prevent flashover, and then, even with lots of
insulation, there are still creeping sparks and corona that do not produce a
stable longer term design.

If you have a medium to large coil try this experiment.  Remove the sec coil
and place it 8-10 feet away on a suitable insulating stand.  Now tap into
the normal primary coil and feed this to the bottom of the sec coil.  It
does require some retuning and is a bit more difficult as you now have two
taps to more around, but the results are very interesting.  I would ask
anyone on the list to try this with some of their coils -- you will be
amazed at how well this works out.   You can eventually enclosed the pri
with taps into a large box and just feed the output over to your elevated
sec coil.

Regards,

Dr.Resonance