[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lexan Bobbin

On Thu, 20 May 1999 05:41:05 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>Original Poster: "Roderick Maxwell" <tank-at-magnolia-dot-net>
>

>>Lexan (polycarbonate) has a strength of 364 volts DC per mil, so a
>piece
>>of 1/4" would stand up to 91,000 VDC, theoretically.  Depending
>mostly on
>>what you're going to use the bobbin for, this should be greatly
>>underated.
>>

>    I guess it should hold up to 12-15Kvac. I building a transformer
>and the
>secondary will be on a bobbin directly over the primary. It may take
>me six
>months to wind the secondary though!
>

>Frankensteins
>Helper
>
>Max

Max, If you submerse the whole thing in oil, it shouldn't need to hold up
to even that. And, as only on leg of the secondary will be in close
proximity to the primary, the volatge present will be at best half of the
secondary output.
I doubt it will take that long to wind the secondary, especially if the
bobbin is (I hope) removale from the core/primary assembly. I'm currently
making plans for a similar project--- could you share any
insight/results?

With silent lightning in my hands,
-The Electrophile-
Grayson Dietrich
visit my HV page!
www.geocities-dot-com/WestHollywood/Stonewall/2509/index.html

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]