[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary Theory (Was Bipolar Coil)-Heretical view

Hi all,
        After reading this post and the one from D.C. Cox I've
decided to put an idea that I think resolves the 1/4 wave/lumped
conflicts to the list for comment.

> Original Poster: "B**2" <bensonbd-at-erols-dot-com>
>
> Hi D. C., Terry, All,
>     Are you suggesting the possibility that there are oscillations
> among the capacities of the secondary themselves?  Perhaps an energy
> loss mechanism scaled with secondary size?
> Wouldn't this show up as a deviation from the calculated R, L, C
> lumped frequency model?
>
> I personally think more
> investigation should be done regarding the transfer of energy from
> turn to
> turn as this may be a very significant source of energy transfer along
> the
> secondary coil.  These effects would also help to explain some of the
> rather
> weird differences between present theory and practice.
>
> Food for thought.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dr.Resonance

I think Dr R. has hit the nail on the head. There is a fundamental
difference between helical antennas which the Corums have been
modelling the TC on and the lumped circuits which appear to work well
for us. I maintain that there is a world of difference between the
behaviour of a close wound coil and a highly spaced one with a
gradual transition in between as the turn-turn spacing increases. I
think our lumped model has a limited domain of validity as does the
Corum's model and ours applies to the vast majority of coil designs.
The reason is the degree of k between each turn. Looking at it like
this one sees in a closewound coil a transmission line with low
impedances bridging sections of the line together. k falls off
rapidly as the spacing increases and the transmission line picture
becomes dominant. I was able to detect subtle but definite
differences in numerous measurements between coils whose only
differences were turn-turn spacing but with everything else equal
including TPI (they were wound to the same pitch with different wire
gauges). Additionally, measurements conducted on non-linear wound
coils by Dr Rzsesotarski and Terry Fritz also show that Medhurst's
self-capacitance equation is not unconditionally true. If this is
correct, it explains the discrepancy which Sloan found in his machine
as well (I think he used a greatly spaced resonator).

    I still have strong reason to believe that the coherence theory
of the Corums lacks validity in a standard two coil design There is a
simple thought experiment which can be carried out in practice
demonstrating an exception to the theory.

Malcolm
<snip>