[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variacs, HV Jell, and LTRS Caps

Tesla List skrev:

> Original Poster: Wes Brzozowski <wesb-at-spectra-dot-net>
>
> At 04:07 PM 5/16/99 -0600, you wrote:
snip
>  I've sadly no
> experience yet with MMC caps, and don't know how warm they get. Operating in
> open air may give a deceptively low first guess because of air convection.
>
> In any case, if warmth may be a problem, then petroleum jelly/parafin may be
> the answer to retain viscosity when things get warm. You may want to
> experiment
> with small samples and "design" for the melting point you're comfortable
with.

> Wes B.

I was at the electricity museum today, to demo my coil, and had the
oportunity to run it at full power (3-5 kW) for a couple of 15 min.
runs, and there was no heating in the MMC at all.

I did indeed design it for maximum air convection, and arranged for
resistive depletion of any residual charge, so that I can safely
approach it, as soon as I have unplugged the pig. I could not feel any
temperature rise with my fingers, or the back of my hand.
I should perhaps mention, that as a chiropodist/podiatrist, I am well
aquainted with the judgement of minor temperature rises, due to
inflammation, in the human lower extremity.
The design is wiewable here:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/tesla.htm

Cheers, finn