[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re. Next step-> Magnifier

Hi Finn:

I can't help you with your magnifier question, but I do have a question
about something you said in that post.

> With the gaps set to 20kV, that`s 16,8 mm (0,66") in my gap, I just
> managed 90 " continous spark from breakout point to grounded rod.

How did you arrive at the gap span vs breakdown voltage?  I must admit, I
haven't a clue as to what my 0.36" gap is charging up to, but I've always
feared that it's way more that what ought to be considered safe for use
with a 15KV NST.

Terry Fritz published a paper on his web site comparing single and multi
gap performance with varying values of k.  Quoting from it:
>The gap is two 1/2 inch copper pipe caps spaced ~0.040 inches apart. The
>primary firing voltage is approximately 5000 volts...

If he gets 5KV per 0.040", I shudder to think what my 0.36" or your 0.66"
gap is breaking down at.  Now I do know that Terry lives at a fairly high
altitude, not sure how much that affects things.

By the way, NICE JOB on your MMC!!!

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA