[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variacs, HV Jell, and LTRS Caps

Terry,
CAREFULLY heat up a small test batch of paraffin,
and slowly add scraps of polyethelene plastic, allowing the scraps
to dissolve. It is very useful to cut the scraps up into thin
strips, as this increases the surface area and enhances the
speed at which the poly will dissolve. Do not overheat the
paraffin. Thin poly dissolves MUCH faster than thick poly!
Remove a reasonable sized sample, label it and let it cool to
room temperature. Add more poly or paraffin to the remaining
test batch and repeat the procedure several times until you
have achieved the desired consistency at room temperature. Mix
up another SMALL test batch using the ratio previously
determined to be best, so as to verify the ratio. Once you have the
desired ratio, you can mix up batches of any convenient
size.

Note that you should measure the ratio of poly to paraffin
BY WEIGHT, as that is easier than measuring the volume...
assuming, of course, that you have a means for measuring
the weight in the first place.

Keep a record of your experiments and post the results to the
list :)

Fr. Tom McGahee