[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tube ----- big one (relatively)

>Original Poster: "Phillip D. Rembold" <prembold-at-gte-dot-net>
> Machlett ML-5606
>This info came from Vade-Mecum 1955

>The tube is a transmitting triode Max frequency is 1.6 Mhz
>The filament of this monster is a hog -
>22 Volts -at- 60 Amps - 1,320 Watts
>don't know what type of equipment you have,
>but if your at a loss of how to power this,  .  .  .  think arc welder.
>The plate of this tube can switch 15,000 Volts and displace 10 k >Watts

>You have found an awesome TC tube, if you don't want it I do.

>Phil
>TCBFW

Thanks David, Ralph, Mike, Phil......... for the responses.
I broke down and picked up the tube.. even though I knew it had the
potential to force me to get pretty carried away to get it to function!
(I even started visualizing how I would plumb some cold water into the
"coiling arena" for cooling).
It looks just as impressive as it did in the store..............
unfortunately, .... if it is like the tubes I used to know... the filament
is fried.
I get an open reading across the 2 pins that appear to be the filament.
I know I could have brought my meter, but I wanted an excuse to get it
anyway,.......(maybe I can impress my neighbors (if I ever get any) by
simulating it's use......)
I suppose there is a remote chance that with a tube of this stature, the
filament needs some kind of forward bias voltage in order to conduct
(please?)... but I think that is reaching for straws.......   (but feel free
to unburst my bubble if that is the case).
Thanks again... it has been educational at least.
Ed.