[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark Gaps

Hello eveyone,

I am going to have some extra time in the summer which means that its time
to increase performance of my existing coil powered off of a 15kv 30ma
NST. Currently the spark gap is a cheap 2 series gap built quickly just to
see if the rest of it works. Now, I wan't to improve the coil and that's
where most of the work will go. I have looked at the different versions of
spark gaps and I would like some advice...

Multiple Series Gap:
For one of these, I would probably need around 8 gaps spaced around .01"
The hard part building these would be that the space between is very
small. For this gap I am thinking of using bolts. What other materials can
I use and where can I find them (for a low price)?

RQ Cylindrical Gap:
This one seems easy enough to build, but how would you adjust the spacings
between the gaps if you need to change them?

RSG:
Sync or async? Which one is better for NSTs? Do they also place a larger
stress on my capacitor? What setup would you recommend for this? (disk
size, material, RPM, number of electrodes)

How much of a performance difference would you get if you used flat
electrodes intead of round ones?

Thanks for looking through all of this...
Marius Grigoriu