[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: classic demo, and motor modification

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Grayson B Dietrich <electrofire-at-juno-dot-com>
>
>  I'm currently
> attempting to modify an induction  motor to AC-synch operation, which
> brings this to my next question.
>
> Is there any easy way of telling if  motor is spinning in synch to the AC
> signal? Would viewing it under incadescent or flourescent lights do the
> trick? I've machined, more or less acurrately, four flats into the rotor
> of a split-phase induction motor, one of 1725 rpm. Will the odd speed
> effect the synching effect? The thingg still runs, but I'd like to know
> if I've succeeded, so I'll use the motor in place of a universal one for
> a rotary SG I'm making.
> Grayson Dietrich
> visit my HV page!
> www.geocities-dot-com/WestHollywood/Stonewall/2509/index.html

> Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
> or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

A single flourescent tube will tell you if the motor is spinning in synch.
Under its light, if any mark on the shaft, pulley etc. seems to be slowly
spinning, the motor is not in sych.  If the mark seems to be stationary, it
is running in synch.  If it is in synch, any added load, say friction, will
cause the mark to shift angular position, until the load causes the motor to
fall out of step, when the mark will be seen to rotate,

Federico Price