[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Disc Construction

Ralph,

See my notes below... (Take this discussion with a grain of salt... This is
my first RSG and I'm trying to do some brainwork along with the brawn.)

This is my first RSG so we are all learning. I hope this discussion is of
value to some on the list (It sure has been to me)...

>I assume you mean the centerline lying in the plane
> parallel
> to the motor shaft.

Yes...

> But there is also the centerline in the plane lying
> parallel to the disc and
> perpendicular to the shaft--the radius. Brian, as you say, offsetting the
> fixed elements from
> the rotating element will not unbalance the rotor.

Correct...

> But in addition to
> offsetting the angular
> displacement, why not offset the radial displacement, or in other words
why
> not move the
> fixed elements up or down? Sort of like instead of O-O-O make it a D-D-D
in
> both planes -- sorta. The D is supposed to show 1/2 the area of the O.
This
> ANSCII really sucks!

It would seem to me that offsetting the radial displacement would have the
same affect as reducing the size of the electrodes (as Reinhard suggested in
another post). This may actually increase the rate of closure (good thing)
due to the curvature (I'll have to think about that one some more)...

> What is ROC?

Not sure what this is in reference to...

Angular displacement:  D-O-D
  Radial displacement:  D-O-D

> I'm afraid I have regained the lead in the bidding for stupid questions.
Not even close...   :')

> Ralph Zekelman

<BIG SNIP>

Brian D. Basura