[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

How to INCREASE leakage inductance

A difficult question for transformer experts.

We are talking about a 10 x 10 x 2.5 cm ferrite core, made by two U-shapes
together. Windings are placed on two different legs.

I have not yet got my transformer assembled but I suppose I will measure its
leakage inductance as a value lower than 160 uH.

To be used in my power supply I must have its leakage inductance set to 160 uH
(or I have to add an external inductor to reach that value). As I would like to
avoid additional inductors, the question is:

how can I encrease the leakage inductance without rewinding many times primary
and secondary in a random trial manner?

Borrowing the idea from NSTs, could I just add an extra magnetical loop (a kind
of center leg) to the transformer, and how to do that in practice?

What about adding some air-gap (on both legs): will that affect also the
leakage
inductance?