[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A state of the art secondary

Hi Finn,

At 09:59 PM 5/6/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Gang!
>
>No matter how I twist and turn the situation, I`m going to have to make
>another, more manageable coil. One that I can fire in the basement, have
>set up permanently. Summer is approaching, and at 56 latitude, it means
>that the streamers are not visible before at 10 in the evening, Not a
>nice prospect.
>I already have some ideas about a mechanism, that will allow me to make
>realtime tapping of the primary possible.
>Before I start, I would like to insure, that this coil reflects, or
>defines, the absolute state of the art. My transformer parts supplyer
>has already agreed to donate Capton foil for the secondary former, and
>this should take care of the inside, I think.
>I would like to make a coil 4" by 16" and try to find a maximum of
>coupling. Since it has been mentioned many times, that this can lead to
>"racing sparks" along the secondary, some ideas sprung to my mind, about
>how to reduce/eliminate that problem.
>I can get silicone lacquer with a very high dielectric konstant, but
>this would be the standard way of doing things, only with superior
>materials. So what I`d really like to try, is to make a coil that is
>wound between 2 capton tubes, and backfilled with oil, to stop corona
>developing, and initiating those racing sparks. (If that`s what is
>happening)

>The coil might also benefit by being wound progressively for equal
>charge distribution along the coil.

Of course, I have some papers on this :-))

First the computer controlled coil winder to wind the coils with varying
pitch along it's length.  You want to wind the coil with a sine
distribution for your purposes.  Wide spacing at the bottom and close
spacing at the top....

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/projects/coilwinder/winder.html

Second, some experiments by me and Mark Rzeszotarski on such coils.... See
the "Non-Linear Coils" stuff...

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/experiments/experiments.html

I cannot say if such coils would be better or worse than a linear wound
coil, but if you are interested, this is the only testing I know of that
has been done in this area....  There are unknowns regarding coupling for
such a coil but it would tend to evenly grade the secondary voltage along
the coil length.  Interestingly, my E-Tesla program could be very easily
modified to predict the Fo and capcitances of such a coil...

I personally would not recommend using oil to insulate a secondary.  You
need a pretty thick layer (inches) to insulate against secondary voltages.
I tried this many years ago and it was a nightmarish disaster!!  The
voltage blew a hole through the container and out came the oil all over
everything.  At least, that was my experience with it...

	Terry