[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Disc Construction

Hi Brian,

>Original Poster: "Basura, Brian"
<<mailto:brian.basura-at-unistudios-dot-com>brian.basura-at-unistudios-dot-com>
>The RSG Dwell Time spreadsheet is now available at:
><http://fp2.hughes-dot-net/brianb/download.htm>http://fp2.hughes-dot-net/brianb/do
wnload.htm

I downloaded your XLS sheet. It is very similar to what I use in my
HBTC program. However there are two things:

1.) You make the assumption, that the arc start/stop takes up no dwell time.
This is a major problem (I donīt have a solution for it, either), because the
arc will jump before the gaps line up and will continue after the gaps
seperate.
In order to consider this time "zero", you would have to incorperate a very
high rpm motor and / or big disk diameter (the speed of the electrodes has
to be VERY high). Otherwise, the arc time is much longer than your proggy
suggests. Finding the time that the arc stays on (= time before alignment+
time during alignment+time after alignment) isnīt that easy. It depends on
electrode size (the larger the ROC, the faster the time is) and shape. I
donīt know of any simple formula that will allow one to accurately calculate
this (although the Sim guys out there probably could make a simulation to
predict results),

2.) What do you mean by center to center offset? Do you mean this:
(use courier to view)

RSG A with no center offset:

X   X

RSG B with center offset:

X   X

Arrgh! I hate ASCii. It doesnīt come out like I want it to. In
RSG "A" you can "connect" the electrodes to form a cross
where the lines intersect exactly in the center of the disc. In
RSG "B" the line intersection is not in the center of the disc.
Is this what you mean by offset? If so, I donīt think this
would be wise, because the disk will rotate off-balance and
you be getting different firing angles for each electrode. If
this isnīt what you mean, could you please explain what
"offset" means.

Thanks and coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard