[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bi-polar (center-fed) TC

Hi
I've built a few centered primary 1/2 wave coils myself, they are quite
handy for attaching other devices and balancing the capacitive load if the
primary is built to be adjustable. This can be difficult with the vertical
1/4 wave type, and is the reason I started building 1/2 wave coils. Tesla
himself used this configuration for his public demonstrations of experiments
with high frequency. My small coil is 3"x16 3/4" wound on a very thin walled
fiberglass coilform, my primary is 10 turns of 1/4" copper tubing 8" in
diameter.  Mine will give a fat 8" spark between points using a 30ma 7500v
neon. I've used a 15kv 150watt dc supply on it but not at full power, it
begins arcing over with the variac set a little over halfway.  I've used
several different primaries on this coil from 6" to 12" in diameter and they
all worked. It all depends on how much voltage and current you want pump
into the thing. .I've never seen a formula for figuring the distance from
the secondary for high voltage coils, if one exists I would like to see it
myself. I think most guys experiment a bit to get that part right at least
thats what I do, there are probably some rules of thumb others can give you.
.The math for Tesla coils is only a guideline anyway. . .I do know one
thing, Your form is too thick, has too many turns and is too long but it
will still work quite well. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to build
one of these things or be all that precise! At least not on the small ones.
I have a coil that breaks all the rules and still works. . 3.5"x36" on a 1"
thick cardboard tube. . .I played with 3/4" solid stainless balls once.
.They burned very quickly and I was only using 25ma at 9000v, I find zink
plated carriage bolts work better for a small coil until you build something
a little bigger. The doorknobs will work but they are a bit large for the
application but should quench well. Correct, the secondary has to resonate
with the primary tank unless the coil is close coupled and running in
transformer mode. Then you would be very surprised at how large of a
capacitance you can run in the primary circuit. I had a 5.5"x10" secondary
with an 8" 8 turn primary I could run with no capacitor at all. I kept
adding capacitors to the primary clear up to 40mfd and it still kept working
although the sparks got pretty raggedy (lower freq.). I had a lot of fun
experimenting with that coil. I never would have seen this effect if I had
been depending on the math alone to design the perfect coil before I
actually built it, I never would have coupled it that close. Don't be afraid
to experiment, these small coils are cheap to build and play with . .As a
result of those experiments I am now building a close coupled oil insulated
bipolar coil which will be ultimately driven by a 50kv 500 watt DC power
supply, that should be quite interesting. On a related subject . .We use
over 100 Bipolar TCs at work to "age" color picture tube electron guns after
pumpdown. They are triggered using some very expensive high voltage SCRs I
bet some guys on this list would love to get their hands on! I hope I have
been of some help.
Mike KB9NZQ