[Prev][Index][Thread]

Re: Mains Current Monitoring

Thanks Marco,

> Original Poster: "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>
>
> For complete data (PDF format) about all Philips soft ferrites materials, I
> recommend this address:
>
> http://www.passives-dot-comp.philips-dot-com/cgi-bin/hwhsql/sql/euprod.htm?518

Actually, I have their databook MA01.  I've been designing switchmode
transformers for quite a while now.

> Basically you should keep yourself below 150 mT (1500 Gauss) and you can be
> sure it won't saturate.

Depends on the ferrite grade but in a lot of apps you can do
reasonably well up to 250mT. I was simply curious to know why ferrite
is considered by some to be a non-starter for current transformer
applications. In fact it is used in those applications at high
frequencies. I suppose the short answe boils down to :you need rather
more ferrite mass than iron mass at 50Hz. But I thought the object of
the exercise was to measure the oscillating primary currents, not the
charging current or am I missing something? I know the core *must* be
ungapped for this to work correctly.

Malcolm
<snip>