[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap AC voltage ratings

Hi Reinhard:

I did understand your test method but I fear that conclusions drawn by
that method will not guarantee safe operation.

I'm not sure that if a capacitor survives a one minute test at a
particular voltage, that it is safe to assume it will endure that stress
for any other length of time.  The vendor data that I've seen
described the AC voltage rating as being something that will not allow
ionization to occur.  I suspect that if that did happen, it would not
result in instant failure but rather a slow degradation of the
dielectric.  So, I fear that while a string may survive the initial test,
it may slowly degrade to an eventual dielectric failure.

Further, the message in the Wima data sheet was clear - dielectric
strength is reduced from it's DC-rating as a direct function of operating
frequency.  I fear that the success we've had is just due to the generous
overdesign factors that responsible vendors use.  Plus using these
devices for much shorter durations and total operating hours than
conventional applications require.

As far as whether dielectric breakdown voltage may be assumed to be
tightly controlled - If a manufacturing process has the option of
controlling a parameter to plus/minus X% or minus-0/plus-anything, it's
much easier to choose the latter.  While the vendor can control the
average dielectric thickness quite precisely, thus controlling the
capacitance, if the dielectric is anything less than perfect, i.e.
blemishes, dimples, imputities, differences in dielectric puncture
strength will result, and without affecting the capacitance.  Thus, there
will be a range of dielectric puncture strengths while maintaining a
tightly controlled capacitance value.  The vendor is not going to assume
that his dielectric is perfect, so he's going to over-design the average
thickness to allow for a reasonable range of defects that will not drop
the strength below the unit's rating.

>BTW: Did you get the XLS sheet and my private mail?

Thanks, I did, but unfortunately my German skills don't go much beyond
counting to ten!  I've also been feverishly working to complete my own
MMC.  Last night was it's first test run for a total of about 4 minutes.
So far, so good.  I want to log some more time on it before I declare
success, and then document it on my web site.  After the 4 minute run it
was just slightly warm, but only just slightly, much less than my rolled
poly or Fair Radio Sales caps.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA