[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap AC voltage ratings

Hi Reinhard:

It's encouraging that you were able to AC-operate your PP caps at their
DC voltage rating.  But I'm not so sure though if I agree with your
technique to determine their breaking point.

While a cap's capacitance value is a tightly controlled parameter, it's
breakdown voltage is not.  {numbers that follow are speculative:}
If a manufacturer sells a cap marked 1000V, I suspect that if you bought
a hundred of them and destructively tested them to the point of
breakdown, you might find values from 1500V to 10,000V.  The 1000V is a
guaranteed minimum.  There is no maximum.  If the test string that I used
happened to be built with some of the higher-valued breakdown voltage
devices, I will get a very optimistic "max" voltage rating.  But then
when I build the big array of 200 of these, I will have many of the lower
voltage parts mixed in too, and when these break down, the voltage across
the remaining parts goes up, then they fail too.

I think only time and experience will tell if we really can push these PP
caps to operate so far beyond their published ratings.  If we can, and
the testimonials I've seen so far seem to indicate that we can, then we
should be cautious and realize that that success is only valid for that
particular cap vendor and model, and maybe even date code.  I should be
able to add to the experience base for this in a few days...

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA