[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: which tubes to get at hamfest?

I haven't done much with tube coils, but the 833A looks like your best bet.
However, it needs a 10V, 10V heater supply--might be difficult to scrounge.
The 811 series, however, uses a 6V/4A.

How much can you afford to spend? If you have $54.95 plus shipping
(probably about $70 total) you can get a Svetlana 572B from RF Parts
(www.rfparts-dot-com). That's a 160W plate dissipation, which means you can put
a lot of power into it, far more than you could with any of the power tubes
you mention. They are a drop-in replacement for the 811A, and as I
mentioned, can take a lot more plate dissipation. As for the 811A, I would
advise you to get a new one, which costs $19.00. They can dissipate 60W in
intermittent service (intermittent as in not 24 hours a day--runtimes of
about an hour maybe), and can take a total of 235W.

If you're really serious, you should probably look into one of the 4CX
series. The low-end model, the 4CX250B, is air-cooled, and dissipates 250
watts.

Good luck!

--
           --Mr. Postman (Doug Brunner)